- Area Attractions
Things To Do:
Paso Robles is home to more than 200 wineries and 26,000 vineyard acres focusing on premium wine production. The distinct micro-climates and diverse soils, combined with warm days and cool nights, make growing conditions ideal for producing more than 40 wine varieties from Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, to Syrah, Viognier and Roussanne, to Zinfandel, the area’s heritage wine varietal.
Leave the car parked! Paso Robles’ beautiful and historic downtown has numerous wine tasting rooms to enjoy and explore. Click here for a detailed map with tasting room hours, locations and descriptions.
In 1865, George Hearst, a wealthy miner, purchased 40,000-acres of ranchland that included the Mexican Ranchos of Piedras Blancas, San Simeon and Santa Rosa. In 1919, his only son, William Randolph Hearst, inherited the land from his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst. By then the ranch had grown to encompass 250,000 acres. In 1919, he gave simple instructions to famed San Francisco architect Julia Morgan: "Miss Morgan, we are tired of camping out in the open at the ranch in San Simeon and I would like to build a little something." Hearst and Morgan's collaboration was destined to become one of the world's greatest showplaces.
Tour Hearst Castle, led by an experienced tour guide, and experience first-hand the majesty and beauty of this historical treasure.
Olive Oil Tasting
Olives tend to flourish in wine-friendly climates and Paso Robles is no exception. A few of the award-winning olive producers now have tasting rooms. In the heart of downtown, there is We Olive, with at least twenty different olive oils available to try on the tasting bar at any given time. We Olive is more than just a store with olive oil, it is an 'Olive Oil Experience'. And, every August, the annual Paso Robles Olive Festival showcases the growing community of local olive oil producers.
- For events near Paso Robles, visit the Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce Web Site [Click Here]
- For events in Paso Robles, visit the Paso Robles Main Street Association Web Site [Click Here]
- For more area and event information visit the SLO County Visitors & Conference Bureau [Click Here]
- For this weeks SLO county events, download their publication, "This Week in SLO County" [Click Here]
- Pasowine.com is a great resource for all things wine and wine tasting [Click Here]
- Download SLO County winery maps [Click Here]